Mayor's Public Speaking Contest "Why I Love Huntsville" - This event has already occurred
Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Algonquin Theatre, 37 Main Street East, Huntsville, Ontario P1H 1A1
View on Google Maps
- Community Events and Festivals
- Municipal Engagement
- PUBLIC SPEAKING CONTEST TOPIC: “Why I Love Huntsville”
- Open to students in Huntsville and area schools in Grades 6, 7, 8
- Each school may send 3 finalists to the contest
- Speeches 2 to 3 minutes each, no longer than 4 minutes each
- Public Speaking event for finalists Wednesday May 29, 10 am to noon, Algonquin Theatre
- Schools register finalists with firstname.lastname@example.org and return supplied release forms by May 22 to her, email or in person at Town Hall, 37 Main St. E.
- Speaking order will be by random draw
- Speakers will be juried by Mayor Scott Aitchison, Deputy Mayor Karin Terziano, Chair of Community Services Committee Councillor Jonathan Wiebe
- May 29 event is a free public event (400 seats available; accessible); Parents, grandparents, caregivers and friends invited to attend
- Speeches will be videotaped by Huntsville Doppler, and may be posted online
- Release will need to be signed by parent/guardian for finalists (supplied)
- Student name, age, grade, teacher and school may be published
- Decision of the judges is final
- Winners will be announced at Council Meeting, Town Hall, 37 Main Street East, Huntsville
June 24, 2019, 6 pm. This is a public meeting with media present.
- CASH PRIZES!
- 1st $285 (age of Canada + age of Huntsville)
- 2nd $152 (Age of Canada)
- 3rd $133 (Age of Huntsville)
Winner speaks on Canada Day, July 1, 2019 at Muskoka Heritage Place, 88 Brunel Road, Huntsville, 10 am.